Inspirations

Inspirations
The color you see is the color you get!

Saturday, December 11, 2010

blue eggs and glam (part 1)...

 Hello all my fabulous blogger friends!  I'm glad you stopped by. Heck, I'm glad I could get this post up for you.... Blogger is not liking me very much right now. LOL!

Ok, so last week I promised you a home decor tutorial, and I'm here to deliver. =)
This is part 1 of 2.

You will need:
An egg (raw)
pin/needle
paperclip
earring backs (optional)
Creative Inspirations Paint
Paint brush
Spray Sealant


 Step 1: Poke a small hole in one end of your raw egg with your needle, and a slightly larger hole in the other end.

Step 2: Using the needle, stir the inside of the egg. (this helps break up the yoke and membranes)

Step 3: Blow through the smaller hole to get the innards out of the larger hole. (no, I didn't take pictures of anyone turning red in the face blowing on eggs... my family would have killed me.) This is similar to blowing up a tough balloon... be careful, and don't pass out. LOL!

Step 4: Once all the insides of your egg are out (you can save them to make cookies or something) rinse your egg out with warm water and soap.

Allow to dry completely.

 Step 5: Straighten out a paperclip, and thread through the holes in the egg.

 Step 6: Gently bend the ends of the paper clip to  form a "U" shape. This will let you hold the egg without touching the egg.  You can put earring backs (the acrylic kind) on the ends of you paper clip if you want to avoid the egg slipping off. *then again, if you aren't the klutz I am, than you may not need to do that....*

Step 6: Begin painting your egg with CI paint.  It will look very streaky at first, but that's fine.

Allow your first layer of paint to dry completely.

Step 7: Apply a second coat of paint.  You can continue building up layers as desired. Allow paint to dry  between each layer.

Step 8: Spray with a sealant. 
*I have found that sticking the eggs on wooden skewers and sticking them into something like a piece of foam is an easy way to get good even coverage with the spray sealant without getting it all over yourself.

 Here is where we will stop for now. Why you may ask? Well, for one thing, I don't want this post to get so long no one can find the end of it... and for another, this is a good stopping point. You can just leave it here if you want. (wouldn't it make beautiful Easter decorations?).  I'll show you what I do with them next week.... (and yes, it will make more sense for the time of year than Easter eggs. LOL!)
This is my  egg with 2 layers of Sapphire CI paint. Yes, it still has brush strokes, but I don't mind it. Especially once I am done with what I'll show you next week. 

This egg was base coated in a black acrylic paint then painted with 1 layer of Emerald CI paint. Because of the spray sealant (mine is a glossy finish), it is hard to really photograph the shimmer. IRL, these eggs are gorgeous!

So, want a sneak peak of next week's project?

See you then!

6 comments:

Creative Inspirations said...

Cant wait for next week!!! Love the green eggs
coloring.

~ Kendra ~ said...

Pretty! They would made nice shimmery Easter eggs!! Can't wait to see what you share next week!

Jenn K said...

So pretty so far! Can't wait to see the finished project!

Jan Hennings said...

WOW! Love the sparkle!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Oh- great pictures and I look forward to seeing your entire project!

Kianel said...

This looks great!
can't wait to see the 2nd part!
Love from France, Kianel.